Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: inquisitiveone Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Taxes Date: 12/13/1999 7:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband works as a consultant so he travels a lot. His jobs usually last 3-4 months, but his employer only pays for the first 2 weeks, the rest is on us. Can we write these expenses off on our taxes?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RooCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23034 of 121061
Subject: Re: Taxes Date: 12/13/1999 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yes, he can using Form 2106, which flows to your itemized deductions (assuming your qualify for itemization) although it is a misc. deduction which is subject to the 2% floor. There was a previous thread about this. You might want to use the search to find it since it was discussed in depth.

Author: bkcpa1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23141 of 121061
Subject: Re: Taxes Date: 12/15/1999 6:24 AM
Dear Inquisitiveone,

Yes, you can. However, these expenses are reported on Form 2106 Unreimbursed Employee Expenses. This is then put on your Schedule A under Miscellaneous Deductions subject to the 2% of Adjusted Gross Income rule. In other words, if you itemize and these expenses are more than 2% of the amount on the bottom of page 1 of your Form 1040, then you can deduct the expenses. If the expenses are less than 2% or you take the standard deduction, then you are out of luck.

Good luck,

bkcpa1

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement