Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have two joint brokerage accounts with another individual. Tax reporting by the brokerage is done under my name and taxpayer ID number. IRS publications are quite clear in how to pass on nominee dividend and interest distributions (I'm to file forms 1099-DIV and 1099-INT for the nominee distributions), but I cannot find any information on how to pass on the capital gains/losses. Is there a form to file, or do we just make notations on our respective Schedule D's?

Happy holidays and thanks for any help you can provide,

D. Stimson
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.