Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A real confused fool. I do my own taxes all the time, but I am stumped this time. My husband and I are disabled with no earned income for this year, but my son made a small income of $820 this year on campus. Something is definitely wrong or I am brain dead. I understand that I have to claim him on my taxes because he is a 19 yr old full time student. I didn't make enough money to claim him on my taxes and from the way I understand it he can not get the hope or lifetime learning credits. I have to put it on my return. I didn't make enough to take the credit and he can't take the credit because he is on my return. I didn't need him on my return because I didn't make enough to pay taxes without him on my return. How can I get the college credit for him? He ends up having to pay $127 in taxes on his income and $300 bank interest.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.