Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a non-resident alien to the United States - have completed the W8 and 1001 forms and returned them to my broker. I was expecting to be exempt from income tax seeing that I am a resident of the U. A. E. where there are not taxes of any kind. I noticed on my account record that my broker is witholding and deducting funds for income tax purposes. I made a quirie about this and it was explained that the U. A. E. have a tax treaty with the U. S. Upon contacting the tax people at the American Embassy here in the U. A. E. they know of no treaty - tax or otherwise.
What should I do about these taxes? Are these funds recoverable if I should file a U. S. tax return?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.