Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

In '97 I exercised some stock options (non-qualified stock option plan) which I had received from my employer. Since I sold the same day as I exercised the options, it was treated as regular income. The gross proceeds were added to my year-to-date income; federal income taxes and FICA taxes were also withheld and their amounts added to year-to-date totals. I received a one-page statement detailing the numbers in the transaction.

My W-2 for '97 includes this option money in the "Wages" amount; however, I also received a 1099-B form which shows the total sales price of the shares, and shows zero federal income tax withheld -- no other amounts.

It seems clear to me that the money was treated as regular income and included in my W-2 amount. What I don't understand, then, is why did I get a 1099-B form to file with my taxes? Can anyone explain how this form is supposed to be used to report the transaction without the IRS considering it additional capital gains income?

I appreciate your help on this.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.