Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
`lo everyone!

I`m currently trying to figure out which taxes on dividends from stocks I`m required to pay.

Datek required me to fill out a W-8 Form - Certificate of Foreign Status (the W-9 equivalent for nonresident aliens). Thus I receive dividens in full without the usually required backup withholding of 31%. No TIN was required for this process.

Right now I`m trying to get the same status for two of my DRP accounts. Reading the instructions supplied with the new forms it say:

`Caution: Form W-8 does not exempt the payee from the 30% (or lower treaty) nonresident withholding rates`.

Question is: What is the difference between this withholding and the backup withholding mentioned above? At a later point it says:

`Any distribution or payment of dividends by a US corporation sent to a foreign address is subject to the 30% (or lower treaty) withholding rate, but is not subject to backup withholding.`

So, is there a way to avoid paying those taxes? I`m currently a student and thus not subject to taxes on dividends within Germany. Any hints or a pointer to further information would be highly appreciated :)


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.