Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am an American who would like to retire in France. My wife and I have a rollover IRA (from a retirement account from a employer), individual IRA's for my wife and I and a taxable investment account, all of which are with a large brokerage company.

How will each of these accounts be treated when I start taking money out of them in terms of income or capital gains tax?

Is capital gains in the US taxable in France? I have read the tax treaty between France and the US and in the capital gains section, it only refers to "real property" which I assume means buildings and land.

Does anyone know how IRA proceeds are handled by other Americans living overseas in terms of paying tax in the country where you reside if you also pay the tax in the US?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If this has already been covered in previous posts, please just direct me to them. FV
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.