UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: scottv67 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Taxes on mutual funds, IRAs Date: 10/25/1997 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Boy, am I confused now. I think I was gone the day they covered taxes and mutual funds in school (just kidding).

John's reply has me confused:

"Scott, any money in an IRA will remain tax free, (Including dividends and all capital gains) until the day that you withdraw the funds. On that day you will pay taxes at your ordinary income tax rate on all profits. If you put your money into a non IRA account you must pay your taxes on all income, (dividends, capital gains, etc.) in the year in which they occur."

Let's start at the beginning...

1. I've got a mutual fund where the quarterly dividends are automatically re-invested. If I don't see that money in 1997, do I still have to pay taxes on it?

2. If I don't sell any shares in 1997, would I still have to pay a capital gains tax? I thought you only paid that tax when you sold shares for a profit.

3. If I sell all the shares in the fund at one time, how does that affect my tax return? It makes sense that I would have to pay taxes on the "profit" that I made due to the increased share price but are there any other things I should be aware of? When do I pay the taxes on the dividends? In the year that I receive the dividends (in the form of additional shares) or when I sell those additional shares?

So the tax benefit between an IRA and a non-IRA fund is that with the IRA, you don't have to pay taxes each year on the dividends that were paid that year, right? You pay taxes on the dividends in an IRA only after you starting making withdrawals.

Ugh. This tax stuff is complex. ;^(

-Scott the Tax Newbie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement