Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm begining to look into purchasing some stocks, and am wondering how the taxation issues effect any increases in the price of a stock. For example:

If i buy $100 of stock A, and at the end of the given tax year my original investment is now worth $150, do I pay tax on the increase of $50? My understanding is I only pay taxes if I sell the stock.

Any information (or links to information) would be greatly appreciated. I've figured out IRA's and have gotten into a Roth. Now i'm trying to venture into regular securities. Again, thanks for any help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.