Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: allgoodpeople Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Taxes on stock yields? Date: 3/14/2001 7:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm begining to look into purchasing some stocks, and am wondering how the taxation issues effect any increases in the price of a stock. For example:

If i buy $100 of stock A, and at the end of the given tax year my original investment is now worth $150, do I pay tax on the increase of $50? My understanding is I only pay taxes if I sell the stock.

Any information (or links to information) would be greatly appreciated. I've figured out IRA's and have gotten into a Roth. Now i'm trying to venture into regular securities. Again, thanks for any help.

allgoodpeople
Print the post Back To Top
Author: yankeesmyteam Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48383 of 121061
Subject: Re: Taxes on stock yields? Date: 3/14/2001 8:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You only pay the tax on the $50 if it is a realized gain, meaning you sold the stock and made a gain. Then depending on how long you held it and what your tax bracket is determines your tax.

However if you bought that 100 stock and it gave you a cash dividend then that is taxable when you receive it.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement