Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm confused about how to declare the taxes on an UGMA Mutual Fund account. Each year I receive a 1099-Div which lists the reinvested ordinary dividends and capital gains. Each year I have been filing a 1040 for the minor that reports these amounts. My question is: Am I required to report these distributions on an annual basis or can I defer the gain until the minor takes control and redeems the account ?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.