Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mrfett Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Taxes, TSP and Military Retirement Date: 4/3/2009 12:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to plan how to setup my wife and I's TSP plans and Roth IRAs. My wife will retire from the Army with 30 years as an O6 at age 56, so she gets 75% of her high3. Both of us will have significant TSP accounts as well as Roth IRAs. My annuity from FERS won't start for 3 years after my wife's retirement starts, and it will be significantly less than hers.

All of our retirement investments are going into Target (Lifecycle) index funds. My question is two parts:

1. I know conventional wisdom says tap the TSP money first so that the Roth money continues to accrue tax free, but does this change when you have a high retirement income?

2. If it turns out I should tap the TSPs first, how do I do so without getting a massive tax hit (since my wife's retirement income will be pretty high)? The best strategy I've heard is take out chunks of the money each year and transfer it into a Roth IRA until age 70, with the idea being to minimize the tax hit each year. If this is the proper strategy, then I'll be sure to have the TSP funds in a target fund that matures 10 or 15 years earlier than the one our Roths are in.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I have a chunk of money I'm getting ready to put in our IRA accounts for 2008 and 2009, and I want to make sure I do the right thing with it (and with the money we're contributing to our TSPs).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement