Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have recently exercised and sold a bunch of stock options that I recieved from my employer a few years ago. Since I exercised and sold on the same day, I know that the gains made are taxable as a salary compensation. But here's my concern:

I recieved a little over $3000. Both my company nor the broker will withhold taxes for this money. So how do I pay the taxes? I'm affraid that if I leave it until filing income tax time in April, I might owe too much and therefore pay a penalty to Uncle Sam.

I would like to pay the taxes, somehow, now. But how would I do this?

Thanx in advance for any advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.