UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56745  
Subject: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/4/2012 6:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Recently, several high profile restaurant chains have made employee abuse a badge of honor when it comes to health care. Turns out, being a jerk to your employees is bad for the bottom line. Who knew?

Darden Restaurants, the company that owns Olive Garden and Red Lobster, revised earning projection downwards today. The culprit, at least in part: Negative media attention that the company received after promising to test limiting workers’ hours as a way to dodge Obamacare’s insurance mandate.

“In light of these upcoming changes, we are being cautious about our sales and earnings forecast for the full year,” Darden CEO Clarence Otis said in a statement. ”Our outlook for the year also reflects the potential impact, though difficult to measure, of recent negative media coverage that focused on Darden within the full-service segment and how we might accommodate healthcare reform.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/04/h...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46572 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/4/2012 6:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yep...

liberal hate expressed.

If you don't fall in with them in 'lockstep'.....they'll try to run you out of town.

I'm surprised they didn't bus in 1000 SEIU union members from around the state to protest at as many Darden restaurants as possible, and that a few didn't burn down in the middle of the night.....

That liberal 'tolerance' for anything other than their 'group think' and plans for your servitude to them.

t.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46579 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/4/2012 8:43 PM
Recommendations: 10
liberal hate expressed.

If you don't fall in with them in 'lockstep'.....they'll try to run you out of town.

I'm surprised they didn't bus in 1000 SEIU union members from around the state to protest at as many Darden restaurants as possible, and that a few didn't burn down in the middle of the night.....

That liberal 'tolerance' for anything other than their 'group think' and plans for your servitude to them.

Actually it is the free market at its best. The CEO made a big deal about what a giant jerk he is, and the customers were so disgusted they stayed away in droves.

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46584 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/5/2012 2:41 AM
Recommendations: 8
The culprit, at least in part: Negative media attention that the company received after promising to test limiting workers’ hours as a way to dodge Obamacare’s insurance mandate.

Who knew that deciding that profits should be the be-all, end-all at the expense of your employees might not be the best PR move.

Seriously, if any of these restaurants that are biatching six ways from Sunday about the ACA just quietly upped their prices - no one would notice.

They're being vocal out of spite, and it's coming back to bite them in the arse. Who knew.

- Cindy

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46598 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/5/2012 12:02 PM
it's coming back to bite them in the arse

If only that were so. In reality, if dinership goes down due to stupid public CEO comments, employees are apt to have hours cut or even get laid off while the dad-gummed CEO continues to collect his salary, bonus and perks. Prolly get a raise for bravery--from the board. Who are CEOs at other companies.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46656 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/6/2012 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
And an update. Turns out the Darden's experiment in employee abuse was a disaster in more way than one.

In the world of health policy, Darden Restaurants may become a cautionary tale. The company, which owns Olive Garden and Red Lobster, recently announced plans to test limiting workers’ hours, in order to dodge the health-law’s mandate that employers with more than 50 workers offer coverage to full-time employees.

It didn’t exactly go so well: The company revised its earnings projections downward after seeing a backlash to the decision. Thursday, Darden announced it had completed the test period, deciding it would not move forward with the limited-hours model.

“We have always had a significant number of full-time employees and they are integral to our success,” Darden CEO Clarence Otis said in a statement. “The data we have collected during our test around guest satisfaction and employee engagement has only reinforced this.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/06/r...

This why is this guy is CEO. He's not sure if his employees are integral to the success of the company. So he runs a test, and it turns out they are!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46657 of 56745
Subject: Re: Tea-bagging CEO Suddenly Sorry for Teabaggin Date: 12/6/2012 1:22 PM
No...his only mistake was publicly talking about cutting back hours.

Other companies are doing it across the board. Usually by not hiring any 'full time 'workers any more. just hiring part time. In a short time, when others turn over...there won't be but a few management type full time employees and most of the work force part time.

IF you look at the restaurant sector, most of the sector suffered loss of business.

I know the restaurants I visit are down in attendance. First you've got the holidays. And company parties and events. Then you've got money going to presents and gifts and big dinners at home. Next your into winter weather that slows things down.

SOme restaurants doing fine. The Old Pancake House is always busy......the local Red Lobster and Olive Garden are always packed, and Furrs has lines out the door most evenings and really out the door on weekends.

Then again, we have a 'good economy' here in TX....

Chuckle all you want...but obviously, if sales are down, fewer people are going to be working there, making less money.....and I'm sure you'll be delighted for them because of the comments the CEO happened to make.

Right? That's what you seem to be saying! Rejoice! Darden workers laid off, and making less money in tips......because folks get slammed for 'speaking out in public'.

Typical libs...celebrating freedom....

I bet you cheered for the union workers and the silly 'work rules' at HOstess all the way into bankruptcy, too.......

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement