Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9947  
Subject: tech in education Date: 9/17/2012 6:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://gigaom.com/2012/09/14/survey-chinese-students-use-tec...
The study, which was conducted by Penn Schoen Berland, included 1,575 interviews with students, teachers and parents in the U.S., Germany and China and attempted to uncover their attitudes toward the role of technology in education.

Overwhelmingly, participants said that technology helps students learn (90 percent) and agreed that it plays a key role in preparing them for jobs of the future (88 percent).

But while respondents from all of the countries agreed that schools aren’t getting what they need, the survey found that Chinese students say they spend more time with technology in school than students in the U.S. and Germany. One function of that could be that 37 percent of Chinese parents said they provide funding for technology students use in schools, as opposed to 16 percent of American parents and 23 percent of German parents.

PF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9759 of 9947
Subject: Re: tech in education Date: 9/18/2012 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I really doubt any results from surveys done - parents say that technology is what their kids need because they see the USE of technology in their workplace - or THINK that technology is needed.

HOWEVER

Did Gates or Jobs have technology in their houses or their schools?

Think about that. Those two did EXCELLENT in technology in their careers with their grade/high schools and households that did NOT have an iPad or laptop or whatnot!

Technology is not the panacea for education. What is the panacea? A combination of a good home, with parents that work with their children and a small classroom size that allows even bad or poor teachers to spend QUALITY time with the kids!

Jennifer

p.s. I grew up in a household without technology until I was 15 - then we got a Commodore, VIC-20.

p.p.s. I see my step-sons working with "technology" all the time - and they have to use it in school - and they don't know a hundredth of what I know. My step-sons are 14 and 20, by the way.

p.p.p.s. I had to teach the 20 YO step-son how to group songs on iTunes. WHY? Because, even though I was not brought up with technology, I was brought up to trouble-shoot and to look for answers.

Author: Esconopeles Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9770 of 9947
Subject: Re: tech in education Date: 9/27/2012 12:09 AM
Recommendations: 2
>Think about that. Those two did EXCELLENT in technology in their careers with their grade/high schools and households that did NOT have an iPad or laptop or whatnot!<

Read Malcolm Gladwell's recap of Gates' education at Lakeside High School in Seattle. He not only had computer access there, but pretty much had the run of the computer facilities at the University o Washington whenever said facilities were not being used.

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9773 of 9947
Subject: Re: tech in education Date: 9/29/2012 10:40 AM
Recommendations: 0
Read Malcolm Gladwell's recap of Gates' education at Lakeside High School in Seattle.

He used it for programming - about all it could do were simple programs.

He did NOT use it to study English or history or literature or Spanish or mathematics, etc.

Jennifer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement