Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: sunonun Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 32  
Subject: Re: A question Date: 1/16/2002 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ted,

To me the "U" postition is like God saying, eenie, meenie, minie, mo, this one is saved, this one who does not even exist yet is doomed to eternal hell. Yes an all powerful God could do this but would He? Its like God is saying, "I'm going to send this not yet created being to Hell just to prove I'm all powerful." Why should an onmipotent God need to prove anything?

You're hitting the nail repeatedly. The God of the Calvinist is completely controlling in all things. Nothing happens except by His will. Without even knowing it, John Calvin put the sovereignty of God in a box.

God is so much bigger than the "U" doctrine gives Him credit for being.
For example, which of these takes more greatness?
1. Creating a car engine that only runs if the creator manually moves and activates each part.
2. Creating a car engine that runs on its own with minimal work on the part of the creator.

To me, the answer is #2, by far.

The answer from any perspective is that it's God's will that this happen.

From my point of view, a God like this would not be worthy of worship and praise.

Let me clarify. It is God's will that people are born. It is not God's will in operation that causes some/most/all of them to go to hell.
(This is, of course, an Arminian perpective)

Also just discussing, but not wanting to teach my opinion as if it were fact.

sunonun
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement