UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756925  
Subject: Re: BAM!! It's Section 8 day!!!!!!! Date: 12/5/2012 5:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
tele
The Sec 8 renters have ZERO sense of responsibility.....won't fix anything themselves.....break things and expect you to fix doors they put their fists through..or walls.....or windows.....they accidentally 'shot out'....

Don't do it.

t.

When I was 23, I accepted a software development job at the Dallas Housing Authority. I was not exactly excited about the job. But it was close to SMU where I was doing my post college decathlon training and they had flex hours so I could leave early and head to the track on campus.

As part of the orientation for new employees, I went on a day tour to see some of the housing projects and section 8 areas. While on the bus, the tour guide was hyping up a section 8 housing development in a southern suberb of Dallas. She was talking about how housing authority employees that make under 28k should look into it because of the advantages terms to get into a home. I don't remember the details, but apparantly you could buy an inexpensive house with favorable financing.

This was my 1st exposure to gov't work so she had me thinking on the way to the development that it could work for me and my young family.
DW and I were currently saving up a downpayment for our 1st home.

How incredibly naive I was.

When we got there, they showed us the model home. Not bad. Then we drove around the neighborhood. Looked a lot like other homes built in the 1960's - 1970's. But, they looked awful. Run down. Lawns not mowed. The schools and parks looked like something out of the ghetto. Many homes had bars on the windows.

Ya, the houses may have been nice when they were built. But the people who lived there were trash. It was another pathetic waste of tax payer resources.

decath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement