UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: markbrynn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63005  
Subject: Re: cahs for clunkers - disaster of a program Date: 1/11/2013 8:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
telegraph wrote:
At 20 mpg for a car and 10,000 miles a year, a driver would use 500 gallons of fuel a year. with a newer car that gets 24 mpg, he'd save all of less than 100 gallons. your payback in energy costs would be over 18 years!

++++++++

I'm not arguing whether the program was a success or not, I just don't like faulty math, or worst case assumptions that are then used 10 posts later like they are facts.

If you trust that 1850 gallons are used to make an average new car (I have no idea). And use the stated mpg gains in the report (from 15.8 to 25) and not the minimal required gains in the law (4 mpg better than the old car), which is a massive difference by the way. Then you end up with the following (quick google search showed average mileage is anywhere from 10k to 15k per year, and 20k was mentioned in one article):
10,000 miles driven per year --> 8 year break even point
15,000 miles driven per year --> 5.3 year break even point
20,000 miles driven per year --> 4 year break even point

This is a far cry from what telegraph calculated and then used as if it were a fact in later posts. There may be some wrong assumptions in both sets of calculations, I'm just using what was already quoted.

If my version of the calculations are correct, then it at least makes this part of the argument against the program a lot less convincing.

-markbrynn
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement