UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TheExpertNovice Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2601  
Subject: Television over IP Date: 4/9/2002 11:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I see that as it struggles to avoid bankruptcy William Communications continues to announce a lot of deals for delivering TV programming over its long haul fiber network. They carried the Super Bowl, The Oscars, and now many Arizona Diamondbacks baseball games. They never announce terms like revenue or profit so it is difficult to tell if they are making any money or not on these deals. So I wanted to question you fiber experts as to pros and cons of Fiber vs. Satellite for this use. And if you see any possibility that video over fiber will soak up any of the fiber glut anytime soon.

Assuming the network is already built and the satellite is already up: does either method have a significant cost advantage? How about transmission time, I consider anything over 3 seconds too long for “live” sports coverage. Would say a game in Boston transmit back to Arizona in under 3 seconds (best guess) over fiber? I assume that fiber would transmit better in bad weather, and be more secure than even a scrambled satellite signal, right? But do any operators care enough about those factors to pick fiber over Satellite?

Separate question, does anybody think that with network assets selling at 5 to 15 cents on the dollar, a long haul network would make a good fit with a big ISP like AOL or MSN?
Thanks in advance for any insights.

http://www.williamscommunications.com/index.html

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement