UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ready4retirement Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734596  
Subject: Ten Mental Exercises and Role Models for ER Date: 3/29/2000 4:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 19
Post 7101 is now "posted" above my desk at work. This will be used when discussing finances with co-workers.

This post is dedicated to the person who originally taught me those 10 Mental Exercises, the concept and the plan to attain ER - my Mom.

My Mom said: "It's not what you make, it's how you spend it" - those words echo in my mind constantly - she said them to my sister and I; literally, day after day.

My Mom said: "I have been planning my retirement since I was 12 years old". After leaving military service in 1957 to marry and start her family, being a stay at home Mom for 16 years, then entering the workforce again to resume work, then retiring the day she turned 62 with more money then she will probably ever spend - she is living her dream of being her own person and not a wage slave.

17 years ago, upon my announcement that I was to marry, she quietly took me aside and pointed out that my intended groom possessed a drastically different philosophy on money management and that this could lead to serious problems. Her advice fell on deaf ears. When my married financial situation started collapsing around me due to this differing philosophy, she took me aside and said: "If you remain in this situation you will retire from the service with nothing to show for your effort". I heeded her counsel and fixed the situation. I am now with a man who shares the same values as I do.

When I reached my financial ER goal last week, 15 months early, she sent me a congratulations card and said "achieving financial independence will allow you to be your own person".

Thanks Mom.

ready4retirement

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement