Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you leave a company that has an ESOP program, you can take the stock with you or "cash-out" and roll this into an IRA. If you want to keep the stock, and are less than 59 years old, what options do you have? Can you do a "direct" rollover of stock to an IRA? If not, would you be subject to the 10% penalty for early withdrawl? Would it make more sense to pay the taxes/penalty on a stock which has increase substantially (3X) over the life of the ESOP?

Like your thoughts on this!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.