Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gnomie Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3379  
Subject: TESCO's fresh & easy: observations Date: 2/4/2008 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
Finally got a quick looksie at a fresh & easy store. Based on the locations of their stores, their item selection & business model, TESCO's target customer is not your typical Whole Foods customer.

At first sight, the store (actually, only one half of the store) somewhat resembles UK stores I've seen with its brightly lighted shelves, basic packaging, and interesting ready-made offerings such as Tikka Marsala, Indian-influenced food, etc. Note: store brand deli items contained either nitrites or nitrates. There's a very small produce section. Items are pagacked-to-go, in bags rather than set out loose. Minimal organic selection. That's one half of the store.

When you step into the other half of the store, it seems as though you've entered a convenience store. Non-perishible everyday items, canned, jarred or packaged, paper products, etc. Stuff you'd find in the middle section of your basic American grocery store. There's room for improvement in this area.

Overall price: average. Comparable to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods store brand items.

The check-out is unusual in that every station is a self-check-out. You ring everything up on your own, pay via the machine & bag your own items. If you need help, there are several workers to assist you (press the assistance button, your station lights up & you wait for help--Vegas-style). Pay via cash, debit or credit card. They don't accept AmEx, which one customer complained about while I was there. That may change in time.

So it's clear that fresh & easy stores & Whole Foods aren't comparable. The selection, the experience, the quality, the clientele: all different. I believe that with their "healthy" &/or organic selection, TESCO is simply filling a growing demand among the general population, which ultimately is a good sign. Some people I know love fresh & easy and shop there regularly, but they are far from health conscious. They shop there for convenience & have not yet developed interest in the WF concept. Current WF customers will still continue to shop at WF because of its level of integrity & because its in alignment with certain principles.

gnomie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement