UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63308  
Subject: Re: The Impossible Date: 1/29/2013 1:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Thailand is my 'default home' .. I'm actually in indonesia as I write this having just come from 7 weeks there (my 10th time in Thailand in 20 years) and I will return to there in another 3 weeks or so.

I was in Thailand about 2 weeks after the tsunami. My strongest personal memory (outside of the media reporting) was of walking by a local police station in Bangkok and seeing that a large wooden wall that stands to one side of the station -- maybe 9 ft. high by 30 long -- had been totally taken over as a sort of impromptu bulletin board and it was COVERED with many HUNDREDS of typed out and hand scribbled notes, two-thirds of them from Western families who had been vacationing and the rest from Thais, all of them DESperate pleas for help in finding ANY word on their husbands, wives, grandparents, children, etc. There was a crowd of silent onlooker/readers and the notes themselves were absolutely heartbreaking. Many of them included pictures -- some just descriptions -- and the ones seeking kids, sometime two or three very young childen who simply *vanished* in an instant, were absolutely impossible to read without coming to tears. No one standing at that wall said a single word to one another. Even those who approached it together drifted apart and could not take their eyes off of what they were seeing and wrapped a natural cloak of isolation around themselves. When they were 'done' they would drift off to the side and sit down and stare silently until their partner joined them, then the two of them would sit in silence.

I can't recall ever experiencing such a public place of palpable depth of sadness and horror. Those notes. I am an avid picture taker but I could not even bring myself to 'snap shots' of them. To say that they were raw and desperate does not truly describe them. You could *feel* these notes walking past them at 40 feet away. Their writers were every one of them clearly falling apart as humans -- disemboweled by grief and loss at the height of a dreamlike day in Paradise.

Yes, (to answer your question), I sent more money to the tsunami relief funds than I've ever sent to anything before or since.

nl
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement