UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Gordon66 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1966609  
Subject: Thank heavens for the fiscal cliff Date: 12/21/2012 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 62
Because the cliff solution is so much better than anything that can pass the insane GOP controlled house. Even Boehner's utterly laughable Plan B couldn't do it.

I think letting all the Bush Tax cuts expired is not so bad. They never should have happened, not any of them. Let em' expire and have the GOP take the blame. Win win.

And steep cuts to military is also just fantastic. Why do we have to spend more on the military than the next 10 countries COMBINED? Why have I never heard a righty even TRY to answer that simple question?

Of course, it would have been better to get to this state gradually, rather than quickly. This will amount to a major austerity package when we ought to be having more stimulus. But at least its good austerity, not stupid austerity. We're mainly getting rid of luxuries (rich-slanted Bush tax cuts, ridiculous levels of military spending). That's what should be the first to go when being austere.

Because it won't be gradual, there is a decent chance all this austerity will push us back into recession. And there are other cuts in there I don't like. So, the fiscal cliff solution is not ideal. But it's wonderful compared to anything that has a snowball's chance in hell of passing the house.

After the cliff, here is what is probably going to happen. There will be set of bills to restore some tax cuts and undo some military cuts. A decent number of Reps will vote for that.

Or, Boehner is going to find some way to bring a more comprehensive bill to the floor with overwhelming democratic support and a few sane Republicans, and that way Reps can run against the bill in the mid terms, as with TARP and the stimulus and Obamacare. That's all Republicans are good at these days. Being disingenuous rock throwers. So fine, we Dems will be the adults, like usual, if presented with that option. Except we learned a few things this time, I hope. Like if we're going own it, it ought to be worth owning. Like if it's going to pass with only token Rep support, the bill should have only token deference to what Reps want.

Or, nothing will get passed, and we'll have shiny new Dem house in 2014 and can try to fix things then.

Gordon66
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement