Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jammasterlee One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6729  
Subject: Re: Saving up for house Date: 8/27/2006 9:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thank you all for all the wonderful advice. And thanks to Obi for notifying me that people had responded to this.

I didn't quite understand all of the posts as I'm new to this. It took me a while to piece together what PI was. Principle and Interest I take it. I am actually located in Boston where purchasing a home for one is almost a complete ripoff. When I buy, I'd like to get a 3 bedroom place or so to offset some of the mortgage costs. I'm pretty used to getting tenants so I understand the hazards there.

Given my area and the high housing prices, does it make sense to go in with a small down payment? Personally, if I'll be renting out, it seems to make a ton of sense. I just didn't know people made loans with such small DP's, like say 10% or less.

The housing market right now is in a downward trend. Demand has shored up and prices are taking a while to adjust. Houses are sitting on the market for well over 90 days it seems.

I have an income of about $42k and I live WELL below my means. I save a ton of money. I don't live on PBJ, but I find my deals and spend in short bursts when I have to.

Point taken about stocks. In my mind I knew that bear markets, or pricing in general can take 5+ year downswings but somehow it just never entered my head as to my own situation. I'm itching buy more of ZIPR but um, that's probably not a good idea. I don't know, I'll have to think about that one considering my goals.

I wonder if one of you all could spell out some of those acronyms?

Thanks so much!
Jamz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement