UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheEvilDrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1948  
Subject: Re: Kindie to first grade Date: 9/27/2011 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thank you all so very much for sharing your stories; it helps me a great deal.

No, not in the margins, tconi; he just draws stick peeps and they want him to "add detail". The problem is that at almost forty, I still draw stick peeps. I don't see a problem with it but then, I love xkcd, too! :-) I sent in maze books for him to work when he's finished with his work but those were sent home and he was not allowed to use them. OF COURSE, that meant I had to stop in and see the principal on the way out...sigh...

Thank heavens that someone else has issues with the Everyday Math curriculum. The teacher swears it's the best thing since sliced bread; my friend reminded me she has to drink the Kool-Aid but I'm not buying it. Math based on estimation and using a completely different set of terms? Hmmm...

I believe she is setting him up for failure by testing him on stuff he couldn't possibly know and then declaring that he's not ready for first grade. We have an appointment with a Montessori school tomorrow and the teacher was DELIGHTED to hear some of the examples of his thinking. The only problem there is that her school only goes through kindergarten so he would have to move elsewhere for first grade. There are several other options open to us and I am trying to explore them all.

I looked at Cape Cod Academy but dismissed it due to the cost. I will revisit it; thanks for the recommendation. I don't know what the cutoffs are for financial aid but with just me and him, I always feel like they will say I should be able to afford it on my salary.

Again, I want to say thank you to all of you. It helps me so much knowing people who've been through this and hearing all of your advice and stories.

Minxie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement