UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886575  
Subject: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/9/2012 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
For raising my homeowners insurance premium by 50% (+/-)! That kicked my butt into gear to go talk to my car insurance agent (Erie Insurance). She lowered my rate back to $60 (was paying $52 with you, Allstate, till you jacked it up to $78) AND got me earthquake coverage which you don't offer AND lowered my car insurance by $10 a month. Woo-hoo! I'm happy!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868667 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/9/2012 11:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It appears that Allstate and Nationwide are now requiring to you "bundle" their services. Here in SC, if you do not bundle, you are dropped, particularly along the coast. I don't know about the other companies, i.e., USAA, Geico, etc.

Donna

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868670 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/10/2012 3:31 AM
I have Geico for our three cars and USAA for the homeowner's insurance. They all bundle but have never had a problem with any CS rep being negative about only having one aspect of insurance.

Robyn

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868688 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/12/2012 8:38 AM
I've used USAA for years, always happy.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868738 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 2:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have Geico for our three cars and USAA for the homeowner's insurance.

Are you with Geico by choice or by necessity? I have had USAA since I graduated, and I've never bothered price shopping. I might when the kids start driving in 1.5 years, though I was more than pleased with the theoretical quote I got from USAA (since my kids were in the system, she couldn't pretend they were 16 so she priced it as if they were 14 and driving...shouldn't make a difference.) Total insurance bill for two new drivers only went up by 50%. I was expecting worse.

Anyway, just wondering if you're with Geico because they beat USAA's price by enough to counter USAA's rep.

v/r
Tom

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868740 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 3:35 PM
Total insurance bill for two new drivers only went up by 50%. I was expecting worse.

You may be surprised if you add more cars to the fleet. Kids as primary drivers are a lot more expensive than as secondary drivers.

PSU

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868741 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 3:54 PM
You may be surprised if you add more cars to the fleet. Kids as primary drivers are a lot more expensive than as secondary drivers.

And that is exactly why we've juggled 3 cars over 4 drivers for the past 2 summers. If I'd add a 4th vehicle, the insurance would really go through the roof, and it's not exactly cheap now.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868742 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 4:23 PM
And that is exactly why we've juggled 3 cars over 4 drivers for the past 2 summers. If I'd add a 4th vehicle, the insurance would really go through the roof, and it's not exactly cheap now.

When his two oldest kids were living at home and driving, my brother discovered it was cheaper for them to take the kids off the parent's insurance and get them their own insurance. Something to do with the homeowner's insurance, I think. And that was in Massachusetts.

Nancy

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868747 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 8:12 PM
When his two oldest kids were living at home and driving, my brother discovered it was cheaper for them to take the kids off the parent's insurance and get them their own insurance. Something to do with the homeowner's insurance, I think. And that was in Massachusetts.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is something that we looked at, but they'd still need to be on our insurance if we wanted them to be able to drive our cars because they live in our house. Once they move out, they can have their own policies and we don't need to cover them even if we want them to be able to drive one our of cars from time to time because they wouldn't be part of our household. It would be the same as if I lent you my car to drive. It would still be covered by my insurance because I gave you permission to borrow the vehicle, but I don't need you on my policy because you don't live at my house.

I am not sure if it works the same in other states.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868748 of 886575
Subject: Re: Thank you, Allstate! Date: 11/15/2012 8:32 PM
they'd still need to be on our insurance if we wanted them to be able to drive our cars because they live in our house.

Ah, that was the difference then. My brother and his wife gave them the oldest car, and took it off the parents' registration and insurance. Then they weren't allowed to drive the parents' cars.

It wasn't for long; the daughter went off to college, and the son eventually bought a pick-up of his own. But taking the two kids off the insurance helped a lot.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement