Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you both for your input. I have checked the K-1 form and there is a Box 20 with three letter designations (A, V, & W). Through my TurboTax, I have determined that the "V" in this box is the "Unrelated Business Income" line that you speak of. Fortunately, that is presently a negative number, so I gather it is safe for me to leave all this off my 2006 return.

Since this investment is in your 401(k) account, it should not be on your personal tax return at all.

I am sorry, but I do not know if your question is directed to me, or to Irasmilo (the first person to reply), and I do not understand your reference to "OP".

"OP" is internet shorthand for "original poster" -- used when someone doesn't remember the name of the person who started the thread.

If it is any help, the 401K in my company has a Trustee, and the K-1 I received was sent to the Trustee FBO (For the Benefit Of) me, at my mailing address, where I get all my statements.

I wonder if I need to communicate with EPD to advise of this situation, or if it is better to just let sleeping dogs lie.

Look closely at the K-1 to see whose SSN/EIN is listed in the partner's id box. It should be the EIN of your 401(k) plan, not your personal SSN. If it is your SSN, you need to contact EPD and get it corrected. If it's the 401(k)'s EIN, you shouldn't do anything.

I do remember reading how this investment was different than owning a typical equity, but I sure don't remember reading anything about my little issue. I gather it is not an everyday occurance for this kind of stock to be residing within a 401-K?

That's because you don't own a "stock". You own a partnership interest. You can buy and sell your partnership interest as if it were a stock, but that's the only similarity.

I guess most 401-K's have nothing but mutual funds, but when I started with my current company, I insisted on the creation of a 401-K that could be self directed. For the past 12 years I have bought and sold nothing but individual stocks (and one LP by the name of EPD) in my 401-K, and this is the first time I have ever received anything to report on my yearly return.

As noted above, you haven't received anything to report on your return -- or at least you shouldn't have. It shouldn't have your SSN on it.

At whatever point in the distant future I decide to sell my EPD holdings in my 401-K, I wonder if I will have any special reporting requirements? I could understand having the problem at the time of distribution (which is far,far away), but what if I sell prior to any distribution?

No. As long as the transaction is within the 401(k) there should be nothing to report.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.