Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you, DeltaOne, for laying out the options.

Since posting I've been going through pub 590 and, unless I'm missing one of the finer details in this document, I am coming to the same conclusion. That is that I should be able to recharacterize it as a traditional IRA contribution (but it is non deductible).

Last year I fell in to the window where I could contribute a fraction of the allowed roth contribution and I ended up recharacterizing the remainder as Traditional IRA money. I didn't see why this instance was any different from last year.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.