Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121146  
Subject: Re: Tax software for linux Date: 7/12/2010 9:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thank you everyone, and apologies for taking two weeks to get back on fool.com! I had been waiting to get a reply that never came, from the Open Tax solver people.

It does sound like a great project, certainly in terms of a larger scale collaboration so the wheel isn't reinvented by separate project efforts... so I definitely appreciate the url trepanne, which I'll try to keep checking at least once a year for updates The http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/ points to http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaxsolver/ which states,

OTS is an easy-to-use text-based C-program for calculating Tax Form entries and tax-owed or refund-due, for Federal or State personal income taxes. Includes versions for US 1040, Scheds A, B, C, D, and forms for several states, as well as Canada and UK.

Since they ended with Schedule D and did not say "and other federal schedules" and further, went on to mention State, Canada, and UK, it doesn't sound too promising for them to be able to deal with Schedule K. Which is what I really want to check up to make sure I've done and will continue doing correctly

So I emailed the contact at the bottom oft he first of these two pages, aston_roberts@yahoo.com, to ask about Schedule K, if the software handles it, or even if it will by the time March or April of 2001 rolls around...that was two weeks ago..maybe the email address is out of date..

I agree with your general point Barbara...In my case though, with my pretty darn "boring" investment life (other than that pesky Schedule K and some Sch. D) and my less than stratospheric income and my willingness, also, to do a bit less than optimally, so long as I'm not screwing myself big time, on my taxes, given all those factors, I could actually 'live with myself' if I used one that was not updated every year, but every 2 or even 3 or 4 years, after all I used to do it by hand (and read financial news stories to find out at least about some of the new stuff, like that 2006 little give back for phone taxes)...But would need schedule K so since that appears not to be in there, I'll save the website and try it another time.

Meanwhile, I've created an account with the TaxAct website and by end of summer I should probably just take the time to re-do my 2009 on that website, make sure the linux/browser interface is good, and see how good it seems, including Sched K...if all that works out, then TaxAct may be my linux friendly answer to 2010 tax filing :-)

Thank you also TaxMover for your rec...even if I use an online version, hearing your positive experience with their CD (even if that was Windows) is one of the main reasons I'm planning to invest the time to try out re-doing my 2009 online with them to give them a 'test run'

Finally trepanne again, aI appreciate your warning that "schedule D functionality pretty much blows dead goats no matter where you look" got a chuckle out of me and as they say, Forewarned is forewarned, it will save me at least some of the frustration to know in advance to expect issues on that front..
-edlbym
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement