UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308478  
Subject: Re: After bankruptcy: secured CC Date: 4/4/2013 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thank you everyone for your responses thus far. Hope to check by tomorrow morning for additional replies and more time to respond in detail.

Also I am planning to delay applying for a secured credit card until end of April (this month), or early May so I can do more research.

Right now, quick questions/responses to this:

I would agree in principle with your lawyer's advice. However, I would strongly suggest that the amount of credit that you use on the card on a monthly basis be:

Thank you everyone for noting that this seemed high! FWIW I never stopped to think and ask the lawyer (the follow-up meeting was more than six months ago) about $100/month. At the final follow-up, he had a very quick and well-rehearsed summation of recommendations. He also works with people of higher incomes as well as individuals like myself (now on fixed income and low income). I wish I had thought about it at the time.

- 10% or less of the amount of the credit line on the card (so if you get a $300 credit line, the max you would charge each month would be $30)

Also it never thought about relative credit card utilization (percentage of available line of credit). Since all/most of the secured accounts I am considering requiring $200-$300 minimum deposit and I plan to open with just the minimum, that would be from 33-50% of total credit card utilization. Too high.

Does anyone know how low (in percentage terms) I can utilize might still be functional? And do I (should I) make an expense every month, or just perhaps every other month?

- only the amount that you already have available (in cash, a checking or savings account that you WILL NOT be needing for anything else) at the time that you make the purchase - no saying "I'll pay for it with the check that will come in next month". You may want to somehow set aside that money (like moving it to a different account, writing it in your checkbook register, etc.) so that you will know that this amount is no longer available for you to spend - it is being saved to pay off the credit card.

Yes, my plan exactly to have a specific amount in savings to cover every month, just in case.

Also I planned to just use it for regular expenses (in my case, groceries, household, or regular and expected bills), but not for grandiose and unnecessary shopping. I am thinking of using it as just a change in how I pay for things (instead of checking account, or cash), not as a way of, "oh good, I can spend more money than is in my budget," which is a deadly error in spending habits.

As far as which card to apply for, if you already have a relationship/account with a particular bank, you may want to see if they have a secured card with reasonable terms, even if they aren't on the list that you found.

My bank is TD Bank and I found this article: http://creditcardforum.com/blog/is-there-a-td-bank-secured-c... . Similar to Citi, this requires an in person application and requires a minimum of $500 to open a secured account. Reasonable APR (19.99% plus prime) and $29 annual fee. It sounds good, but I believe the Capital One and Wells Fargo cards are still my first choice. If/when I open a second secured account, I will consider TD Bank.

Thank you and will respond again tomorrow.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement