Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4337  
Subject: Re: Ste 5 International...140k Loan that Pays It Date: 2/28/2001 1:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Thank you for posting a sales pitch of a scam! It's great that people can see a real example of the telltale signs that things are not right!

What If You can get a real loan from a real bank, and you keep all the proceeds ($140,000 okay?) and you never ever have to make one single payment on that loan???

The above is a typical appeal to greed, of getting something ($140K) for nothing (never make a single payment).

And what if it's structured in such a way that it literally pays itself off in time, and it's 100% legal?

I see many chain letters that claim to be legal and try to convince people it was checked out by the United States Postal Service or some other organization. Of course, just like chain letters (http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/chainlet.htm) a claim that something is legal doesn't make it so.

Loans like this not only exist, they've been a well kept secret by the wealthy elite for years.

Ah, yes, the exclusiveness that is used to explain why financially astute people have never heard of them. That way, even when people who are well-versed in these things point out the falacy, they get ignored.

(Membership fee, $100 annually.)

Ah, yes, what it will cost you.

I can contribute $100 to Oregon Public Broadcasting, know I am supporting a very worthy asset to the community, and financially be out only $66 because I can deduct that contribution. However, I cannot deduct a penny of the $100 I send to some scammer.

As an Independent Marketing Representative for Step 5 International, you'll receive commissions on many of these services simply by referring others.

But usually it is not referrals that generate commissions, but those referrals that end up buying goods or services (such as loans). Once you have exhausted your ex-friends and and no-longer-beloved neighbors, additional referrals will require more work, such as spamming message boards (and getting thrown off of one's ISPs), or mass mailings.

The real money is to be made by those early in, especially those that collect the $100/yr membership fees. Later on the money is very hard to make and, meanwhile, one is stuck with payments on a $140K loan.

All right, what if you can receive a percentage of the loan origination fees every time you refer someone else who gets one of these loans? ($7,000 for each referral okay?)

The above makes it clear: you get the $7K commission for getting someone else to sign up to be such a participant to the tune of a $140K loan. It's a pyramid scheme, a "Ponzi" scheme that requires new participants to reward existing participants. These schemes are illegal in the United States of America. Again, once you exhaust the local suckers, it dries up fairly quickly.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Something exclusively known to the rich (or known only to the banks, etc.) is probably not true.

Any scheme that relies more on recruitment of new participants instead of real goods or real services is probably a scheme.

Anything that requires up front money should be checked out before money is put on the line.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement