No. of Recommendations: 2
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

The $10M payout was because we knowingly allowed a Canadian citizen to be held illegally in a foreign jail and did absolutely nothing about it.

It had nothing to do with whether he was guilty or not.

Yup, also Khadar was legally a child soldier and if initial reports (later 'lost') are true he was face down under ruble with two bullets in his back when the grenade was thrown, probably by another Taliban fighter who was killed in the battle. Of course he was never going to get out of Gitmo unless he 'confessed'.

RK did more than a couple of trips to Gitmo as our Fed government 'Observer' during the trials, came to hate the place. She once commented to me "he was not there (Afghanistan) to play tiddlywinks", but he was probably not guilty of throwing the grenade, just someone alive (barely) to blame it on. I finally found someone to give the damn T-shirt to that she brought me back from the place, I never wore it.

Harper chose to ignore his responsibilities but of course he didn't have to pay the $10 million himself.

"“Nobody claims to have seen me throw the grenade, and this soldier has testified that I was under the debris, and it couldn’t have been me,” Khadr said."

Interestingly, even if he had thrown the grenade he would not be guilty of murder as it was a military battle. Wanna go there legally?

https://nowtoronto.com/news/omar-khadr-terrorist-murderer-no...

Omar Khadr: "terrorist," "murderer," none of the above

To call Khadr a terrorist or murderer is ludicrous in the extreme – the incident that led to his capture was clearly a firefight with distinct combatants on both sides. Nobody was out to terrorize anybody.

BY SCOTT TAYLOR JULY 11, 2017 8:16 AM

he Liberal government stirred a flurry of emotion with last week’s announcement that Canada will settle a civil suit and pay $10.5-million in compensation to Omar Khadr.

Those firmly in the anti-Khadr camp howled with indignation that the payment is in essence a reward to a "terrorist."

To back up their argument, they point to the fact that Khadr confessed to throwing a grenade which killed U.S. soldier Christopher Speer and wounded another American infantryman. This makes Khadr a "murderer" in the eyes of his detractors.

The terms "terrorist" and "murderer" are indeed provocative, but in the case of Khadr they don't apply.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement