UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Imaginistics Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Re: Others with un-retirement? Your ratio? Date: 10/15/2007 9:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for this very helpful background, workwayless. This is just the kind of sharing that makes this group very valuable, including to those
of us who haven't (semi)retired yet but hope to do so within the relatively near future.

I assume you meant not literally 23% but that you meant that you retired with a 21 to 1 ratio, with savings at 21 times annual "burn rate" for a percent of 1/21 or about 4.7%

When you say "Before I retired, I was racing to retire by any means possible" I hear you. Many aspects of my job are very nice but others maybe I just need a break from..maybe take a year or half year off..instead of rushing to semi retire.

I've put a lot of thought to not only the possibility of having to un-retire, but also to avoid a situation where there is just as much stress as FT work..This is one reason (not the only reason) why I don't plan to retire, but to work PT, receive probably 1/3 or 1/4 my salary, and just meet expenses, "Break even" and allow my ratio to get better over time. I might get a lot of energy after a year or five of that and decide to go back to FT for a bit, though for various reasons in my profession (which I'm shying away from giving details about) that may not be easy. So I'm not even shooting for retirement (too poor to do that in the next five years anyway..I'm under 50..but have enough due to very frugal life, to make downshifting that early, do-able) but to do semi retirement, at least for a while, maybe even permanently (in which case helping improve the state of our world, as well as creative endeavors, would make up the rest of my schedule)

You see I had retired early on a "barebones" budget--with the thought that I would work just enough to bring pay for discretionary spending. From a financial standpoint I was successful at this. However I found that some of my money-making/saving schemes were just as stressful as my ole "9-5" profession--for a lot less financial return!

Would love to hear any lessons you have to share...I do worry about it being "just as stressful" and have given that some thought, but not sure what the details of "just as stressful might look like". Are we talking about work as a consultant, or online gigs, that kind of thing, which end up turning into a "run faster just to stay in place"? (those are some of my worries with the online ventures I'm thinking about using for part-time income when I take the plunge..) Or am I way off?

Thanks again for your post which I'm about to Rec :-)

Imag
Imag
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement