Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thank you Phil. Just to be clear, I will have to report the sale AND pay the cap gains when filing my 2000 taxes (April 16, 2001)?

That's correct.

I thought that I had one or two years to reinvest the proceeds into a like property. NO?

And I thought that stock tip from my brother-in-law's co-worker's sister's friend was a sure thing. ;-) We are both wrong.

It sounds like you're describing the old section 1034 rules which applied only to your principal residence. Those rules (which wouldn't have applied to your situation, anyway) were repealed in 1996. (I think?)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.