UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: huibs Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1977291  
Subject: ..thanking her and praising her.. Date: 2/26/2011 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 80
I still think that her approach is the right one. I do not think she's out there advocating that the government take over our dinner plates. In fact she's not. She's been criticized unfairly by a lot of my fellow conservatives. I think it's out of a reflex rather than out of a thoughtful expression. And that's one of the things that bugged me most about the political environment today – we don't have to believe everything the other side proposes is immediately and all together bad. And the reason I have been very vocal, even doing an event with her and publicly speaking out for her initiative, is because it's exactly what Republicans say they believe: that you put a focus on individual responsibility, you encourage people to make good choices, and you reward them for doing so. I thought that's what we were about. She does not, in the Let's Move campaign, dictate what families do with their own children. She doesn't say, "you can't have a cookie. You can't have a birthday cake.' That's not anywhere in her program.

The one thing I think she's been criticized for maybe by some is that she's asking for or insisting upon or pushing for that school lunches and school breakfasts offer healthier choices. Well, the federal government's already spending that money. You know we can argue whether or not you ought to have a school breakfast – it's a point I make in the book. I talk about the whole school breakfast program, but the conclusion is, if you don't feed these kids, it's the only food they're going to get. But if you're going to feed them, we've already made that decision, and if USDA is going to subsidize the food that goes into their plates, then shouldn't it be healthier food? And here's a couple things that are pretty startling – 75% of the kids who are recruit-age for the military cannot pass the physical because they're obese by Army standards. If you really want to talk about obesity, let's talk about it as a national security issue. It's an economic issue, but it is a national security issue because at the trend we're going, we better hope we don't have a war with anybody because we're not going to have anybody who can pass the physical to wear the uniform. That's pretty scary. So, rather than us condemn Michelle Obama, I think we ought to be thanking her and praising her for what she's done.

-mike huckabee

..at least one conservative gets it..

..probably the only one, however..
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement