Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CBohner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57304  
Subject: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This is the greatest spot on the Web right now. It is so nice to come here and get such positive support. I know that having this board to come to has made this time much easier to bear.

I have started telling everyone that I quit smoking. I am finding that by telling people -- saying it out loud -- it somehow makes it more "real." Also, it makes it harder to start again -- I don't want to face all these people who care about me and tell them I couldn't do it.

Thanks again to all of you for your support. I hope if I stick around someday I can do the same for someone else.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CBohner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 840 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Oops -- forgot to sign the last one.

Must be that nicotine withdrawal!!!

Christine

Author: nettater One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 841 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 6:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
I can't agree more about this being the most important board on the web.

Let me take a minute to give some background on my experience. I smoked for about 15 years, quit for three and have been smoking on and off for the last five or six years. My wife says I quit so often that I,ve become a professional quitter. I can't say I'm a pro til I'm off it for good. Tomorrow is the big day.
I've been reading this board for the last few days and I must say you all are a real inspiration.

I have always used the nicoderm cq because I can buy the full strength ones and cut them in half or quarters to save money. (disclaimer)I don't know if this a good idea not knowing how the things deliver the nicotine. I believe it is just in the glue but I really don't know. It has always worked for me.

The real problem I have is when I get around other smokers I've gotten in the bad habit of bumming.

Tomorrow morning I'll wake up a non-smoker!!!
and I can start "my" counter.

Again let me thank all of you for all the encouragement and testamonies.

Scott

Author: briz21 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 842 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 8:21 PM
Scott,

Good luck and keep us posted. You will definitly find the support you need here.

Justin
Three weeks, three days, 10 hours, 52 minutes and 55 seconds. 611 cigarettes not smoked, saving $68.77. Life saved: 2 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes.

Author: strnr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 843 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 10:19 PM
You're going to have a great day tomorrow Scott. When you wake up tell yourself that you are a non-smoker and that nothing is going to get you to smoke today.

Good luck, and please use this board. As you can tell by reading our past posts, many of our posters here attribute much of their success to the fellowship they recieve here.

My wife says I quit so often that I,ve become a professional quitter. I can't say I'm a pro til I'm off it for good. Tomorrow is the big day.

Remember, all those other times were just practice for the final time.

Steve T

Author: strnr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 844 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/3/1999 10:23 PM
Justin
Three weeks, three days, 10 hours, 52 minutes and 55 seconds. 611 cigarettes not smoked, saving $68.77. Life saved: 2 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes.

Justin, you're doing great. I'm getting ready for your 1 month celebration.

Steve T

Author: CBohner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 846 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/4/1999 7:37 AM
Scott:

Congratulations on your decision. Hang in there and keep coming back here where people are rooting for you!

Christine

Author: DrJHawk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 852 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/4/1999 10:56 AM
The real problem I have is when I get around other smokers I've gotten in the bad habit of bumming.

Scott,

I had the same problem the first hundred times, or so, that I quit smoking. The solution is really pretty obvious, stay away from other smokers, at least while your in the early stages of nicotine depravation. I've been fortunate that most of my family's close friends are non-smokers. My wife still smokes, but she's banished to the garage or back patio when she lights up, and she's not allowed to smoke in my pickup. Sometimes she'll have a cigarette before bed and I'll make her brush her teeth before she comes to bed.

Last week I stopped into a bar I used to frequent when I smoked and there were a ton of people puffing away. It didn't tempt me to light up, although my lungs felt like I had a pack after only an hour or so. I'm beginning to agree with the militant anti-smokers on the effects of second hand smoke. And the bar had even installed smoke eaters! But during the first few months, I'd stay away from other smokers as much as you can for your own success.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 862 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/4/1999 9:49 PM
Almost a month Justin--good job!!!!!!!!!

What are you going to do with all that money?

CaDreamer--(interim cheerleader)
Rah! Rah! Rah! GOOOOOOOOOOO JUSTIN!!!!!!!!

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 863 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/4/1999 9:56 PM
Welcome Scott to the Professional Quitters Association where our motto is "We have more ways to quit than Carter has little liver pills!" We are proud to have you in our ranks.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow as you start your first day and I'm sure we are all pulling for you and hoping for your success.

I am one of those that firmly believes that one of the biggest things that has helped me get this far is this board. I still come here every day and at least read the posts. As you can tell, I usually also find something to say. If I had not had this place to come vent/rant/rave/b***h/moan/feel sorry for myself/etc/etc/etc, I honestly don't think I would still be quit.

Please keep us posted. WE LOVE SUCCESSES!!!!!!!!!1

CaDreamer--1 month, 1 week, 3 days, $343 saved, 2019 not smoked, 1 week life saved

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 864 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/4/1999 10:02 PM
Don't look now Christine, but you are already helping someone else just by posting.

Just noticed that you and I are "birds of a feather". Are you finding, like me, that not smoking at work is the hardest part?

CaDreamer--

Author: CBohner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 874 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/5/1999 7:32 AM
Actually, CaDreamer, I am finding not smoking at work the easiest part. I work on the 31st floor, so to go all the way to smoke was always a major pain in the neck (you know what I really mean). Instead of going down to smoke now, I just go talk to a friend. I just have to figure out how to get through first thing in the morning!

Christine

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 884 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/5/1999 9:07 PM
Christine, thanks for your reply.

The first thing in the morning was hard for me too as I used to deliberately get out of bed an hour early so that I would have plenty of time to:
1. drink a cup of coffee
2. smoke a LOT of cigarettes
3. cough my brains out
4. get dressed
all in that order.

Now, I sleep until I have just enough time to get dressed, drink half a cup of coffee and get to the office. That keeps me busy and rushed but not frantic and hyper (read: I WANT a cigarette) and does the trick until I get to the office. Its getting better.

CaDreamer--working on this a little every day

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 935 of 57304
Subject: Re: Thanks Date: 11/9/1999 12:14 PM

I am one of those that firmly believes that one of the biggest things that has helped me get this far is this board. I still come here every day and at least read the posts.
As you can tell, I usually also find something to say. If I had not had this place to come vent/rant/rave/b***h/moan/feel sorry for myself/etc/etc/etc, I honestly don't
think I would still be quit.

CaDreamer,

Ditto.

Rebecca
Two months, four days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 6 seconds. 1973 cigarettes not smoked, saving $256.71. Life saved: 6 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement