UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 10:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow! The moral support here really is great! And this is a very high compliment coming from me. I usually post mostly to the Quitting Smoking board, and that place is ultra-friendly and supportive, too.

I appreciate all of the good ideas I have gotten. I'm going to give the typing idea a try. Every little bit helps, so it won't bother me if I am not instantly successful.

The income tax suggestion was not needed in that I already knew about that, BUT it did get me to thinking about tax time. It's hard to believe, but it's almost here! That will be a big help, and make our monthly budget more manageable. I just have to hang on through March, and I should be able to come up for air.

Between these things and a few small lifestyle changes (I should be able to cut the phone bill by about $10 a month, and I just found a BRAND NEW wooden drying rack in the dumpster that is big enough for all of my needs so I won't have to run my dryer a minimum of 6 hours a week) I'm feeling better.

Thanks.

Rebecca
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51168 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Rebecca:

I dry all my clothes on racks as well. Really helps keep the costs down and they dry overnight. People that visit look at me a little crazy, though.

I must admit that you have a great mindset with your situation. And now that you are looking around, I am sure you will find the right answer for you and your family. Things will get better.

Have a nice Holidays.

Catleen

Author: GirlEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51174 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 1:54 PM
Here's another idea... you obviously can write fairly well, judging from your posts, so is there some topic you could write occasional articles on and submit to a newspaper or magazine that pays?

A friend of mine, also an engineer, submitted an article she wrote to a magazine in her field and is going to get $100 for it. For her, it's nice extra money, for the entertainment fund... for you I think that a small sum of money would make a big difference, even if it's only an occasional basis.

Author: skonopa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51176 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 4:12 PM
Beccapooka said:

I just found a BRAND NEW wooden
drying rack in the dumpster that is big enough for all of my needs so I won't have to run my dryer a minimum of 6 hours a week) I'm feeling better.

I say:

When I used to live in the apartments, I was always amazed at the stuff that I sometimes see show up at or around the dumpster. I have more than once salvaged perfectly good furniture and such from the trash. Often it is due to people moving out and they just don't want to deal with taking the stuff with them. They often just leave it at the dumpster, either hoping somebody else that wants it will take it or just to get rid of it. I once left a whole bag of aluminum cans near the dumpster with the idea that somebody would take it (I did not have enough to warrent a trip to the recycling center), and within 20 minutes, somebody did!

I am glad a find in the dumpster will help you save a few bucks - every little bit does indeed help! Heck, if you find something else like that, you may be able to get a few bucks by selling it at a local consignment shop or whatever.

Steve

Author: milleniumfalcon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51182 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
Becca -

See that? Everyone wants to help. I suppose we have all been there in one form or another.

There have been a ton of great ideas pointed your way, and I know you will use the ones that you can.

Still, I be lieve the best thing going for you is your excellent attitude. You are showing grace under pressure, keeping a level head, and putting into practice what you know.

Here are three of my favorite quotes when I need a little wisdom or a little wind in my sails:

Crisis is merely a season for creativity. - Mike Murdock

Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way. - Booker T. Washington

Winners see risk as opportunity. - Dennis Waitley

Use your library whenever you can. I've found some wonderful authors (including the Motley Fools) this way. Personal favorites include Mike Murdock, Zig Ziglar, Norman Vinvent Peale and Dennis Waitley.

I read for encouragement everywhere I can get it, and having a book handy is a great way to do so. Standing in line for the bus, waiting for the bus or train, waiting in the doctor's office. There are so many places where we can use our time more diligently.

Keep up the great work and the awesome attitude!!

milleniumfalcon

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51185 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/9/2000 9:23 PM
milleniumfalcon,

Thanks so much for your support. I really appreciate it. I don't know about grace under pressure. I may be faking it. :) I really like this:

Crisis is merely a season for creativity. - Mike Murdock

I think that is very fitting. I can tell you, I am not bored!

Rebecca

Author: McLaury Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51191 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/10/2000 6:07 AM
Becca,

I know how intelligent and resourceful you are. You will get through this. Welcome to the board (one of my two favorites at the Fool).

You have gotten some great suggestions here. We are all in the same boat and there is much support and wisdom here.

Susan

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51195 of 308881
Subject: Re: THANKS! Date: 12/10/2000 9:25 AM
Hi Rebecca!

BUT it did get me to thinking about tax time. It's hard to believe, but it's almost here! That will be a big help, and make our monthly budget more manageable.

You bring up a very good point. This is absolutely the time when everyone should be giving some thought to their taxes, and keeping up with any new tax law changes.

If anyone hasn't been there yet, there's a very good area on taxes here at TMF at:

http://www.fool.com/taxes/taxes.htm

Worth checking out!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement