UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dp23peace Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308428  
Subject: Re: How to get back to financial health Date: 2/4/2014 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Thanks 2gifts, I appreciate talking this out. The Sharebuilder accounts were primarily for them to be lifetime investors and learn about it early, unlike myself. only $300 or so in each. They each picked their own stock last year from MF Best Buys, so they are not exactly the same.
I agree about the college fund vs. retirement and wish I had not even set it up now. I won't put any more in it, but will let grandparents know that it's there in case they want to donate instead of buying useless toys.

Car has 185k and we will drive it until it dies. Then, get a used car with a low rate through our credit union. Can't see that we'll have enough cash, as you can see.

Unfortunately, my wife works in a different school system, since jobs weren't available in ours when she went back. She did try that. It's a $182/wk. expense, and not any other options.

We have reviewed every expense from last year, and have a budget based on that.

I also do pay more than the minimums, but I listed the minimums. I pay $100 and $150 per month on the two with high %.

Still seems like we'll never get out because each year something (car repair, house repair, medical bills) comes up, so I thought I would ask the MF Intelligencia if it made sense to have an investment sitting there, with all of this debt sitting here. I was thinking it may make more sense to pay debt as much as possible, then start investing in chunks again, and having all interest working for me, rather than against me. The answer seems to be; just keep on keepin' on.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement