Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks a lot for all of your message. However, I am still a little confused.

My question is actually simple: I lost big money (I traded stocks many times, and the lose has been realized). If I get some gains in the next year which just cover my lose, should I pay tax for these gains?

My situation is that I traded many stocks during this year, and my account is actually a big loss. i.e. I am not holding those positions. According to what you pointed out: "I have to report those lose on my tax return, and my loss is deductible".

I don't understand what that means to me. Since I lost a big money, even I report my lose which is deductible in my tax return, it still doesn't cover all of my lose. (I invested $60K and lost $40k, which is even more than my current annual salary). So, how should I deal with such a bad situation?

Thank you very much in advance for your further advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.