UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bruceaa Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49438  
Subject: Re: Back to Headhunting... Date: 9/13/2006 12:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks all for the comments, so far!
Difficulties in networking including trolling too often.
Similar 'principal' to references, IMHO. That is, the
network and the references will get tired and non-responsive
if contacted repeatedly for assistance. At some point, you
have to be able to give back to the network; and you cannot
do that without a position of strength. A rather crude
example: if you want to lose your circle of friends and
acquaintences really fast, become a Tupperware or HerbalLife
distributor...and spin circles.

Anyway, back on topic. I am a longstanding member of several professional organizations: IEEE, ASQ, PMI, IFMA, etc. Nothing
really every shows up there in the positions section. Ditto my
20 year relationship with Rotary and 40 year relationship with
Scouting. It really is a 'quid pro quo' world. And, it generally
operates only when the two parties are on a peer level, particularly
related to employment.

When I had a very senior position at a once highly regarded company,
I could call "Rod", and he could call me, and we would work on
items of mutual interest. Now, Rod has maintained his position as the Director of HR, and I am out looking. When he replied to my recent
email about putting my resume in front of the hiring authority at his
company, he pleaded ignorance of what I was asking.

Now on to the headhunter issue. Maybe I was fuzzy or too much tequila.
Nick strongly suggests that a focused advocate "in the business"
is the key to obtaining employment for most management level job seekers. In that I read "headhunters". In my case, the network is busted. So, I need an advocate. However, one of the posted responses to my initial post said something to the effect that headhunters come looking for you. Again, back to my Rod story. When you are not already employed in a high visibility position, you are not in a headhunter's usual field of vision.

What I am wanting Nick to do is build a map that clearly shows one or more high percentage probability paths to re-employment success. Again,
I do not want to go into detail about my personal demographics or work history, but it is incredibly standard stuff: middle-aged white guy with advanced degrees and only three employers in 31 years.

I do not want a rehash of what was salient in 1996 when Nick wrote his
book (which was never revised according to Amazon). WE need a new plan, guys! I'm out of ideas.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement