UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2rich2care Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Thanks all for the input! Date: 4/19/2001 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I was about to fall asleep last night, after having washed some clothes for work today. I noticed my pregnant wife sleeping and just sat and watched the beauty of it all. My daughter, asleep in the next room, was also resting peacefully. She can't wait to bring her new baby brother to day care to show off. She doesn't realize she'll be home with momma from now on, thanks to debt reduction. We'll make that special visit with her though, it means a lot to her.

I stopped for a moment to ponder all of you wonderful people making great strides in your debt reductions. I know now that there is a lot of hope out there for our fellow Americans.

You ever wonder why there is so much bankruptcy and antacid commercials of late? Just something to think about.

Anyway, while you guys are paying down these debts, take a look at TIAA/CREF and the like. They offer automatic withdrawals from your checking to their funds for as little as $25 per month. Just a little way to treat your future self for all your hard efforts. Or maybe just set it up for the kids. You don't have to give them $250 to get the ball rolling.

It was nice to find something like this, after all Vanguard and the like want at least $1000 to get started. That's hard to fathom in desperate times. This little fund (I used the growth/equity) has been down 30% or more bellow the INDEX we all hear about on TMF, but then you are buying in at the near bottom. Let's not forget dollar cost averaging. If you start now, you haven't lost the 30% the others have who were in from years ago. I had days where it purchased shares for me in the low 9's. One less trip to the movies with the Mrs. (at todays prices) each month, but it might be exciting to find thousands in that fund in the up coming years.

I figure I'll let it secretly disappear from the checking twice a month for five or so years until one day BOOO YAHHH. What is $50 a month for 60 months? Not including fluctuations in the NAV price? Something like $3000 right? It's like finding that $20 bill in your pants you haven't worn since whenever. Well, 150 $20 bills actually.

Again, just a thought,
2Rich2Care
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement