Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks Bradams2...

Yes, I was aware of the press release, but its great to hear your first hand DD to verify some of the info. While I've been an investor in alt energy stuff for a while, I never gave ethanol much consideration until the Fortune article. (I thought the ethanol was simply a government entitlement to Iowa corn farmers.) Was I ever mistaken!

Like you, I'm concerned that big oil will continue to try and block ethanol to a point -- then after obvious public outcry or a major disruption in oil supply, they will come in and buy up the ethanol producers (BP-- 'beyond petroleum' etc.). If that's the case, this will be a very good thing for investors -- oil is gushing with cash and will readily spend it to be 'quick to market'. So, if anyone takes a 2 to 5 year look at the ethanol space, it would seem as close to a 'sure' thing as we can find in investing. Bill Gates, besides being an extremely generous, socially-conscious philanthropist, is one of the brightest guys on the planet. His investment in PEIX is probably a reflection of his social concerns and business acumen.

Any thoughts on ADM? While they are well positioned, but I'm a bit surprised that they are content to develop standard ethanol – not E85 or cellulose ethanol. It appears that ethanol contributes a whopping 23% of operating profit on just 5% of sales. Why aren't they jumping in with both feet?

Anyway, I've had a couple of posts mentioning the Fortune article, for those fools that have not had a chance to read this, here is a CNN/Money pick on the article:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/06/8367959/?cnn=yes

I'd love to hear from other fools – am I just smitten with ethanol fever, or is there really something to this stuff?

Foolish talk,
Don
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement