UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gotnodoe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75637  
Subject: Re: where to open a roth ira Date: 1/6/2002 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Caat.

It looks like tiaa would be better for me to start. I'm better off there until I accumulate 10k or more to avoid vanguard's fees. I'll be putting in 5k for 2001 & 2002, 3k in 2003. I figure I'll have 10k or more by 2004. But what are the costs of transferring to vanguard in 2-3 years? Are there xfer fees?

Since I'm sortof new to this, it's hard for me to tell if i'm better off starting with vanguard from the get go. I may decide later to transfer to a totally different company but for arguments sake, I'm thinking tiaa now vanguard later? or just vanguard now?

Also keep in mind, I don't want to have to create my own mutual funds portfolio yet. I don't know enough to do it! I want at least for the first year or so, to have it done for me.... some kind of mixture, if you will. IOW, some fixed mixtures of funds.. (hope that makes sense)

What do you think?

-T
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement