No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks Decath and Saydiver,

With the new info you've both graciously provided, I'm now trying to determine if the increased potential of 401(k) contributions (and pay) offset the increased self-employment taxes and loss of 401(k) matching. This is making my head spin! I need a worksheet!

Decath, I did consider the possibility of other writeoffs, but I'm afraid we wouldn't realize much.

Home office - we don't have a separate space, nor is his primary place of business our house. He'd be working at the company, so I don't think we'd qualify.

Office equipment/computer - he'd be working on the computer at work. don't really anticipate any work from home.

Internet connection - Again he'd be working from work and my usage of the DSL for "fun" (Fool.com!) I think would negate this.

Travel - none anticipated.

Car depreciation - we only have one vehicle. He drops me off to and from work. On the odd day he has to work late and I don't, the $10 cab ride home for me saves on the 2nd car payment, insurance, personal property tax, and license and maintenance. :)

And, yes, as DINKs we get murdered by the taxman. And, if he gets this position, it'll only get worse - the lower amount is a 50% increase in his pay. (Of course, there are worse situations to be in, eh? :))

We do itemize, but with the mortgage just 11.7% of our existing gross, we just barely make it over the threshhold where it's more advantageous. What concerns me is that we are inching ever closer to AMT. This may put us over the top. I can't remember - does AMT negate the pluses of the 401(k)?

Like I said, I'm approaching Exorcist territory, here! (head spinning reference :))

Does anyone have a link to a tax calculator where I could do a comparison? All of the ones I'm finding are to estimate taxes owed for 2004 assuming mid-year timing. I'd just like one where I could input all the numbers from scratch and see what the estimate for the year are each way. Maybe my 2003 Trubotax has this. I'm going to check.

I really appreciate all your help and the added things for me to consider. Access to the knowledge of the posters on the Fool is invaluable.

3MM
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement