UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VeryAnnoyingDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127262  
Subject: Re: Jane the Illegal Appraiser Date: 1/18/2003 10:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks Duck, that's kinda what I was hoping for.

I didn't mean to give impression that all appraisers were unethical. ...

At least now I can understand a little more about the pressures an appraiser faces and what to look for when dealing with an appraiser

Thanks! Now that I've calmed down after venting heavily upon David, I also have to remind everyone that appraisers don't just look at houses and pull numbers out of their @$$ as a job. There are also positions in "appraisal review", that is appraisers reviewing the jobs of other appraisers and "appraisal consulting" in which figuring an "opinion of value" is part of a much larger project such as a feasibility study or urban planning (or other large projects). Being a residential appraiser in the home finance industry is probably the most common job for an appraiser, but again as everyone else has mentioned, still too unregulated enough to give everyone just cause to say they're fraudulent.

As mentioned in my rant against David, I'm not an appraiser yet. I'd like to be, but I also have not worked with or gotten actual experience or "real life" info with those that are IN the business to see what it's really like. Do banks lean on appraisers? Do a lot of appraisals look like numbers pulled out of one's behind? I haven't seen that for myself. The only "real" appraiser I've ever spoken with is my college professor, who is a certified general appraiser in this state, but is also a Realtor, and a constuction/architectural consultant. So he's busy and hasn't been a heads-down full-time appraiser like so many residential appraisers (he does manage to clear the number of hours needed for appraising and educaction, though...).

When I do get my "hours" in order to be an appraiser, I'll still be doing research to see if the industry is still as fraudulent as everyone reports it to be or if it's worse or better. Otherwise, I may go into different kinds of appraisal as possible (the assignments I described above).

Duck
...not an appraiser...yet!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement