Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mschorer One star, 50 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123487  
Subject: Re: Cap gains or income? Date: 5/17/2001 6:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks Duggg and Phooley,

This is a "living in retirement" situation I am trying to structure.

Duggg, you are right; I would avoid withdrawing funds from a tax protected account such as a rollover IRA, but I also cannot keep contributing.

Phooley, yes I would keep several years worth of living expenses in fixed income vehicles. But, if I follow the 30%fixed/70%equity allocation, the 30% fixed is more than several years of living expenses, the next question is where to keep the fixed? Keep enough in the taxable account to throw off the income to live? Or keep the fixed that exceeds the several years living expenses in the tax protected account? You can see why I wanted to know (and now I do) that the tax on long-term cap gains is always going to be less than the tax on income (as I have learned here). Just trying to structure things in the optimal way!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.