UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jhuangwithnmr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Re: Please Help me Optimize! Date: 12/11/2001 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Thanks for all the details. The plan is quite extensive and it is quite clear that you have given this much thought. It is also quite clear that you are aggressive, since you want to add money to an Education IRA when the kids don't even exist yet! [note: I don't think it is legal to add money in the name of the unborn.]

There is one thought that I have, in addition to JLC's comments in the previous post. You mentioned that you are confident in your ability to pick stock, and your bonus seems awfully good. Why do you split your aggressive investment and your lower-return investment into separate accounts? Unless your overall strategy calls for splitting your investment, and it is not merely a tax issue, the different strategies seem odd. Presumably, a person is good at one particular style--fundamental, technical, a mix, aggressive, passive, index, etc.--and not at many styles at the same time. Currently, you have the aggressive investments in Roth IRA to minimize tax, long-term investments in taxables, and mutual funds.

Unless your high-level planning calls for this spread, consider consolidating into mutual/index and aggressive investment categories only, regardless of your tax concerns. This will focus your mind and your strategies. The caveat occurs if the aggressive investment is so aggressive that the tax erosion will simply eat up all advantages of trading aggressively in the taxable account. In which case, you can switch over to an index and focus your time and skills on trading the Roth IRA.

I also noticed that you don't have a "ring fund." Is that coming from investments or savings or bonuses? I would also advise against a house. 18 - 24 months is a very short time to own the house and the hassle of the paperwork.

jhuangwithnmr
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement