Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DARNIT Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25265  
Subject: Re: !FINALLY! index offered for 401k Date: 6/6/1999 8:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for all your comments, guys!

We switched to PW last fall - used to have MLynch, so anything's gotta be better than them, right? (We hope!)

The index that PW has offered is their S&P500 index - the fees are 0.54% - - much more than Vangard, but compared to our other choices for the 401K:
AIM International
AIM Balanced
Mutual Qualified
PIMCO Mid Cap Growth
Oppenheimer Capital Appreciation
PaineWebber Growth&Income
PaineWebber Investment Grade
PaineWebber Stable Value

The rep really tried (and I think convinced the majority of people) to not invest in the index. He said it was 'weighted by market cap' and that we would really be investing the majority of our monies in 15 or so companies because of the weighting. He said it was not diverisified enough and that yes, the S&P has done well the last 3 years, but it is a fad that will pass.

His recommendation is contrary to what I've read about S&P Index Funds. And I think that 2395177?.....(sorry forgotten your name!!) is very correct in saying that PW will be losing on fees when monies are invested in the Index.

Now : Another Question:

I tried grilling the rep to state the difference in fees - the mix of mutual funds offered vs this Index fund.
He stated that we are buying "A" shares, but we are not paying the 'front load fees' shown on the prospectus.....those fees are in the 5.25%range..

In further discussion, he said that the fees are waived for our company. I asked to see it in writing. So, he went thru the prospectus - which, not surprisingly wasn't an easy job, even for him. He found a little blurb about 'reducing or waiving fees IF 1 million is deposited and kept in the fund for 13 months". So I questioned the 13 months and the 1Mill, as we have just started with them and he said it was a 'deal' that was made, and the conditions were waived.

Am I wacko for not exactly buying this from the rep? The terms he described are not in writing specifically - why should I believe it?

Sorry for the looooong post.

I get a bit crazy about the subject of 401k's - all I want is to get offered some decent choices and to stay in them (that's another thing my company does, is switch us to other brokers every couple of years...so much for long term - we usually end up getting out of a fund when they are in the pits and jump into another that's at it's high.... Oh, well I'm rambling....)

Comments?
Sorry again for the long and rambling post

Best of Investing to all,
Dar
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement