Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JonBeer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35804  
Subject: Re: PC: Civilization IV:Colonization Date: 10/1/2008 1:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for comments/clarifications Gus.

Actually, Settlers don't cost population in Civ IV. That's a major change from Civ I and II (where they cost 1 population) and Civ III (where they cost two population). Instead, when you're producing a Settler or Worker, all your food surplus goes into production, which halts population growth.

That is indeed a better way of handling it. I guess I got muddled about which Civs did what... The low populations in this game though do indeed make soldiers/settlers a major investment, and I think it's to the "fun"
's detriment - no more willy-nilly warmongering as is my wont.

The combat system in Colonization was... strange. As I recall, there were only two units: infantry and cavalry. If a cavalry unit lost a battle, it lost the horse and became an infantry unit. An infantry unit that lost a battle died. So the smart thing to do was to field an all-cavalry force, and "repair" the infantry back into Cavalry with stockpiled horses after combat.

Combat system in this Colonization is still very simple - three units though. Cavalry, Infantry and cannons. Cannons seem mostly rubbish, but they don't cost population. The injury/death system is the same as in Civ IV though, each unit has a certain health which gets degraded in battle until one or the other is dead.

I think it says a lot about me that [the trade micromanagement] sounds like fun.

Well, given that it's most of the game, you'd hope so. And initially, it kind of is.... "Ok, curses, I need more wood in my capital to speed up building the rum distillery - I know, I'll found a new colony in this jungle here and send in some expert lumberjacks then get my wagon train to bring the wood into the capital". That's fun. But frankly it gets too much. Given that you'll need to be resupplying places every few turns you're constantly moving your wagon trains around. There's an automated system which works to some extent in that you tell each city what to import and what to export, but you can't set limits on the amount of stuff you import, only the amount of stuff you export. As a result, I was constantly losing tools because the stupid automated wagon trains kept dumping them in this one city next to the one they were built in, and they didn't have enough storage space. Gah. You can either set up each individual trade route to a specific wagon (Cotton from Boston to New Rochelle etc) or to as many wagons as you like actually, or have every wagon doing every route, or you can just hit the "auto" button which seems to be reasonably effective but has odd bugs which result in your wagons getting stuck somehow occasionally and the oddness of over-delivery. Given that each town will probably have 6-10 trade routes then it all gets a bit too much for this bear's brain.

Colonization wasn't terrible, but it wasn't Civ I either. It was more-or-less a mildly interesting Civ I mod.

Civilization IV: Colonization isn't terrible, but it isn't Civ IV either. It's a more-or-less (more less!) interesting Civ IV mod.

Jon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement